The Lagos State Government has announced plans to deploy surveillance drones in partnership with security agencies as part of efforts to strengthen intelligence gathering and tackle insecurity across the state.
The Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of the Lagos State Security Trust Fund, Ayodele Ogunsan, disclosed this in a press conference on Monday to mark the 100 days of his assumption of office, noting that the initiative would bolster aerial surveillance and enhance rapid response to emerging security threats.
According to him, the Fund is set to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Nigerian Air Force and the Nigeria Police Airwing to support coordinated air-based security operations.
“The Fund will work towards signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Nigerian Air Force and the Nigerian Police Airwing to support aerial surveillance across Lagos State,” Ogunsan said.
“This will include the deployment of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, also known as drones, to significantly enhance intelligence gathering, rapid response capability and coordinated security operations.”
Ogunsan stressed that Lagos, regarded as Nigeria’s commercial nerve centre, requires sustained investment in security infrastructure to safeguard lives, property and economic activities.
Reviewing his first 100 days in office, he said the Fund had strengthened its financial base through strategic fundraising and expanded stakeholder engagement.
He disclosed that 80 operational and patrol vehicles had been added to the state’s security network to improve visibility and response time, adding that more vehicles were expected.
“We introduced new fundraising channels, including crowdfunding initiatives, while intensifying engagement with private sector organisations, public institutions and individuals who share our vision of a safer Lagos,” he said.
“We also injected an additional 80 operational and patrol vehicles into the Lagos security space to strengthen rapid response and visibility, and more are still on the way.”
Ogunsan further revealed that a sole donor had committed to constructing a permanent office complex for the Fund.
In addition, he said the Fund had begun the repair and restoration of abandoned Armoured Personnel Carriers to return them to active service.
“Importantly, we have embarked on statewide repairs and restoration of abandoned Armoured Personnel Carriers, returning them to operational use,” he said.
On future plans, Ogunsan announced that the Fund would roll out statewide training programmes for security agencies to enhance professionalism, tactical competence and service delivery.
“We will commence statewide training programmes to ensure officers across the state are equipped with modern knowledge, tactical skills and professional standards required for effective service delivery,” he added.
He reaffirmed the Fund’s commitment to transparency, accountability, innovation and strong partnerships in sustaining a safer environment for residents.
“Together, we will continue to build and sustain a safer Lagos for everyone,” Ogunsan said.
Metro recalls that following the appointment of Ogunsan, the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, held a town hall meeting with stakeholders to discuss issues bordering on state security.
The Trust Fund, since the assumption of the new leadership, has recorded donations from corporate organisations and individuals, among which was a N1bn donation from Globacom.















Leave a Reply